Richard J. Hollawell Bio
Personal Injury Attorney
Richard Hollawell is a partner in one of New Jersey and Pennsylvania’s most successful personal injury law firms‚ Console & Hollawell. Since joining the firm in 2007‚ he has used his experience‚ knowledge‚ and tenacity to fight hard for his clients‚ and to see that justice is served. He focuses on a broad range of personal injury cases, with a significant emphasis on wrongful death and injury from the reckless and negligent prescribing of opiates and other prescription medications. He also focuses on the related field of insurance bad faith litigation‚ which is holding insurance companies responsible when they act in bad faith towards policyholders.
Knowledge of the Insurance Industry
When it comes to knowing the ins and outs of how the insurance industry operates‚ Mr. Hollawell has first-hand experience. Prior to and while obtaining his law degree‚ he worked as an insurance claims adjuster at two of the nation’s largest property and casualty insurance companies. His responsibilities included investigating‚ negotiating‚ and settling personal injury claims that were presented against the company’s policyholders. Mr. Hollawell knows how insurance adjusters think‚ knows the games they play to limit payouts‚ and knows that insurance companies are not on your side. That insight allows him to get the best results for his clients.
Richard Hollawell received his Bachelor’s Degree in Finance from Fordham University in 1990‚ and his law degree from Widener University School of Law in 2001. At Fordham‚ Mr. Hollawell’s hard work and competitive spirit earned him the Fordham University Presidential Scholarship‚ and the Vincent Lombardi Memorial Award for Leadership and Athletic Achievement. At Fordam he served as the captain of the football team and was a two-time All American. He is licensed to practice law in New Jersey‚ Pennsylvania‚ and New York.
In 2005‚ Mr. Hollawell joined another law firm in Philadelphia‚ where he continued his work litigating personal injury cases in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania while adding another specialty to his practice‚ insurance bad faith litigation. He successfully handled countless cases for his clients involving medical malpractice‚ product liability‚ auto accidents and‚ premise liability. He also successfully represented clients in contract disputes against their insurance companies litigating disputes due to wrongful handling of disability‚ homeowners‚ health and automobile insurance claims. In 2007‚ Mr. Hollawell became a member of our firm.
Throughout his career‚ Mr. Hollawell has obtained millions of dollars for clients from settlements and verdicts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
In the News
- News 4 New York’s I-Team interviewed the family of our client, the late Sarah Fuller, as well as C&H Partner Richard J. Hollawell.
- As a result of Mr. Hollawell’s efforts on a few recent cases in Philadelphia, the Philadelphia Inquirer wrote a front page article about the over-prescribing epidemic and the tragedy it causes.
- Philadelphia Inquirer Article
- A $1‚650‚000 settlement after a three week trial for a client who was fatally prescribed escalating doses of narcotic medication. The jury reached a verdict in the case, but before it was read by the judge, the insurance companies for the defendants settled for all of the available insurance coverage.
- A total settlement of $1,140,000 from an over-prescribing doctor and the dispensing pharmacy for the family of a man who lost his life due to a prescription painkiller overdose.
- An $825,000 settlement in the case of a patient who passed away due to an opiate overdose.
- A $925,000 settlement for the surviving family of another man whose doctor overprescribed a lethal amount of prescription painkillers.
- A $700,000 settlement in the case of a man who lost his life to an overdose when his doctor, a Toms River pain management physician, prescribed him an excessive and dangerous amount of prescription opioid painkillers.
- A $925,000 dram shop settlement against the bar that overserved a driver on behalf of two clients who sustained serious injuries as passengers in the car accident. The dram shop settlement brought the total compensation for these clients to $1,100,000.
- A $900‚000 settlement achieved through mediation where a minor client sustained severe and permanent foot and ankle injuries after being run over by a forklift.
- A $600,000 settlement in the case of an 11-year-old boy who was partially blinded when another child threw a stick that hit him in the eye.
- A $450,000 settlement for a pedestrian whose foot was run over and big toe severed when a commercial truck ran a red light as he was crossing the street.
- A New Jersey Supreme Court decision in the case of Augustine W. Badiali v. New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Group that could bring about major changes for NJ policyholders who have to sue their own insurance companies for benefits under their policies. Mr. Hollawell appeared in front of the Supreme Court, the highest court in the state, to argue the case in September 2014, and the Justices issued their opinion in February 2015.
- Some other notable cases handled by Mr. Hollawell were a $450‚000 settlement via mediation for a client in a car accident that sustained internal injuries that required surgery. In addition there was a $443‚000 arbitration award for a client who was in a car accident that suffered a disc herniation that required surgical intervention.
Mr. Hollawell currently resides in Southern New Jersey with his wife, daughter, and son. In his spare time he enjoys playing golf and traveling with his wife.
If you’ve recently been injured in an accident and need someone to tackle complex legal issues—someone who knows the ins and outs of the insurance industry‚ will manage your case ethically and honestly‚ and will personally commit to winning — contact Pennsylvania and New Jersey personal injury lawyers Console & Hollawell today at (856) 778-5500 to schedule a free consultation.
To contact Mr. Hollawell, email: email@example.com
Console & Hollawell
525 Route 73 N #117
Marlton, New Jersey