Ask the Attorney: PIP Is Behind Medical Deductibles and Copays after NJ Car Accidents
Asker: In New Jersey, do I have to pay medical bills for an accident that wasn’t my fault? If I go through my insurance, I have to pay the $2,500 deductible before they pay for anything. I didn’t even know when signing up for this policy that there was a medical deductible. I don’t feel like I should be paying for an accident I didn’t cause.
Attorney: I’m sorry to hear about your injuries and financial struggles. You’re not alone in feeling that the system is unfair. In New Jersey, no-fault laws require that auto insurance policies include a portion of coverage called “personal injury protection” or PIP. Insurance policies are so confusing that you, like most policyholders, may not fully understand your coverage, your responsibilities, or your legal rights.
You don’t have to pay the medical bills in their entirety, but yes, you have to pay deductibles and copayments toward your medical bills even though the accident wasn’t your fault.
The deductible and copays are part of your policy. It’s not surprising, though disturbing, that you didn’t know you would be on the hook for paying this steep deductible. If you told the insurance agent or online quote generator that you wanted lower premium payments, they gave you a policy with a high deductible and probably never explained what that deductible meant. Unfortunately, not understanding the policy doesn’t excuse you from having to pay the deductible. After you hit your deductible, your insurance company covers 80 percent of the medical expenses up to your coverage limit, leaving you with the remaining 20 percent balance up to your out-of-pocket maximum.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter to the insurance company that you didn’t cause the accident or that the situation is unfair. They’re not giving up a couple thousand dollars just because it’s unfair to you – but that doesn’t mean you can’t do something about the situation.
Your Options as a Claimant
You’re absolutely right that it’s unfair to have to pay thousands of dollars when your only mistake was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That’s precisely why it’s important fight for the compensation you deserve. You should talk to an accident lawyer in NJ as soon as possible, because your damages could be serious enough that you will need a substantial amount of compensation. That $2,500 deductible is an immediate problem, but you may soon find that it’s not the only challenge you’re facing.
PIP covers your medical bills, but your insurer leaves you on the hook for a good deal of your medical expenses, which can be particularly stressful on top of everything else you’re going through. When you hire a lawyer to help, you can focus on what’s most important: getting better.
Fill out the form below to receive a free initial consultation.
Console and Associates, P.C. is a top Personal Injury Law Firm that represents accident victims in NJ and PA in cases such as car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, slip and fall injuries, and medical malpractice. Our personal injury attorneys are also investigating multiple national mass tort claims including hernia mesh, talcum powder and Zantac cancer, along with many potential class action lawsuits and Coronavirus COVID-19 lawsuits. While we strive to be the best personal injury lawyers in New Jersey & Pennsylvania, we are best known for our skill in seeking maximum compensation and for the compassionate manner in which we help our clients restore their lives after devastating injuries. Whether you live in Paterson or Jersey City, our experienced team of attorneys can help you get your life back. Serving you at our locations in Marlton, NJ, Newark, NJ and Philadelphia, PA. Call us at 866-778-5500 for a free consultation to see how we can help.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. This website is designed for general information only. No aspect of this website has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. The information on this site should not be construed as formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney client relationship.