If you’ve been injured and it wasn’t your fault, you may be wondering why you have to pay your own medical bills. The good news is that you may not have to. Perhaps you were rear-ended in your car, or a speeding truck hit you as you were crossing the street. Depending on the specifics of your accident, you may be able to get money to pay for your injuries. Hiring a personal injury lawyer can help you get money from your insurance company or from the person who injured you.
Of course, it can be hard to know exactly when to hire a personal injury lawyer – should you do it at the scene of the crash? The next day? Or only when you realize how serious your injuries are? Here are a few helpful tips to help you decide when to make the call to an injury attorney:
- Have you been permanently injured? Debilitating injuries to body parts that were formerly functional are hard to deal with. They may impact your work or social life – forever. If you’ve experienced a permanent injury, you should call a personal injury attorney.
- Did you need surgery? Any time you’re in a hospital and need surgery as a result of someone else’s actions, you should call an injury attorney. You can often be compensated for serious injuries, either by your own insurance company or by the party who caused the accident.
- Are your injuries impacting your daily life? If you’ve had to miss work to deal with your injuries – or you’ve been unable to perform typical daily activities or require assistance to do them – a personal injury attorney can often advocate on your behalf.
- Did the other person get an attorney? Sometimes, you may not be sure which party is at fault. If the other person has an attorney, you should get your own representation. You’ll want to ensureyou’re protected.
- Are you unsure? If you don’t know whether or not you should get an attorney, you should at the very least make the initial phone call. Consultations are typically free, and actually talking with a personal injury lawyer will give you a better idea of whether or not you have a solid case.
As soon as you suspect that you might need an attorney, get on the phone right away. Make a call to a New Jersey personal injury attorney like Console and Associates P.C.. The sooner you make the call, the sooner your attorney can get to work for you.