New Jersey Slip and Fall Lawyer
If your slip and fall happened because a floor was unexpectedly wet, a walkway was uneven or a parking lot or stairway held patches of ice, there may be a clear cause for your injuries: someone else’s negligence. You shouldn’t be the only one facing the consequences of another person’s reckless behavior. Our New Jersey slip and fall lawyers can make things right. We’ll hold the people who caused your injuries responsible and get you the money damages you deserve.
For your free, private consultation with the slip and fall attorneys at Console & Hollawell, call (856) 778-5500 now.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
- Snow or Ice
- Poorly maintained stairs
- Unexpectedly slippery walking surfaces
- Cluttered floors
- Uneven sidewalk
- Uneven carpet
Most safety hazards that cause slip and falls are a lot less obvious than the clichéd banana peel – that’s why people get hurt even when they’re not doing anything wrong.
The kinds of safety hazards that cause slip and falls vary, but they often fall into one of a few basic categories.
Weather-Related Slip and Falls
- Slip and falls on ice or snow, including nearly invisible black ice, are very common in New Jersey. They’re also very serious. If you want to pursue a lawsuit involving a slip and fall on ice, you’ll need an attorney with experience handling these claims specifically. These cases aren’t easy, but that hasn’t stopped our lawyers from winning hundreds of thousands of dollars for victims of slip and fall accidents involving ice. Of course, snow isn’t the only weather condition that can cause safety hazards.
- Rain, too, can create slippery walking surfaces if property owners don’t take precautions. Even seemingly harmless objects, like scattered leaves, can cause dangerously slippery conditions when they get wet. New Jersey has many locations with uneven pavement. You might be surprised just how many slip and falls result from uneven pavement. Most of us aren’t staring down at the ground when we walk – and we shouldn’t be. You expect the surface you’re walking on to be even. But broken curbs, cracked sidewalks, loose paving stones, and deep potholes pose dangers that you never see coming.
Poorly Maintained Stairs
- Whether indoors or outdoors, poorly maintained flights of steps can develop safety hazards that put you in danger. Our attorneys have seen slip and fall cases involving everything from broken and cracked steps to outdoor stairs that develop slippery patches of mold.
- A dangerous staircase presents even more danger than a slippery condition on a flat walking surface. If you slip and fall on stairs that are poorly maintained, you could have a lot further to fall – and suffer the pain of additional impacts from each step.
Unexpectedly Slippery Walking Surfaces
- What about when spilled liquids or debris create an unexpected hazard?
- A slippery patch on any walking surface can lead to fall injuries. The property owner should always clean up or at least use a warning sign to mark a safety hazard – and if they don’t, they could be liable for the injuries you suffer as a result.
The Injuries That Result from New Jersey Slip and Falls
- Every personal injury case is unique. But there are patterns that you notice when you’ve worked in this field of law as long as we have. Over our 20+ years of personal injury experience, our New Jersey slip and fall attorneys have found that victims hurt in slip and falls like yours often suffer the same kinds of injuries.
Some of the most common slip and fall injuries include:
- Brain injury or head injury
- Broken wrist
- Back injuries, including herniated discs
- Elbow injuries
- Hip injuries
- Knee injury
- Tailbone injuries
The New Jersey Sites of Slip and Fall Accidents
Where do slip and falls happen? They can occur anywhere a safety hazard is left to put people who visit the environment at risk. But there are certain places where these accidents seem to happen more often than others – and places where a claim is more likely to be successful.
Common sites of slip and falls include:
- Schools. From nursery schools to colleges, schools with poorly maintained premises can be the sites of slip and falls. Public schools have additional legal protections that private schools do not, which can make them harder to sue for a slip and fall. If you get hurt on a school premises,
- Grocery stores. Grocery store slip and fall injuries often involve spilled merchandise, leaking refrigerator and freezer units, or water and squished fruits in the produce aisle.
- Retail stores. As with grocery stores, spilled merchandise is often the cause of slip and falls in retail stores. Fortunately, Console & Hollawell has handled high-value slip and falls in retail stores.
- Restaurants. Spilled drinks, grease splatters, and wet restroom falls tend to lead to restaurant slip and falls.
- Gas stations and convenience stores. Slippery entryways and icy parking lots are often the cause of slip and falls at gas stations and convenience stores, like Wawa and 7-11.
- Hotels, casinos, and entertainment venues. Resorts, theaters, and other entertainment venues have the same responsibility as other businesses to keep premises safe.
- Apartment complexes and private residences. When you suffer a slip and fall on private property, like someone else’s home or a landlord’s property, you’ll pursue a claim against the relevant homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Parking lots. A property owner’s responsibilities don’t end when you step outside the building. Parking lots, curbs, and sidewalks and walkways must also be kept free of dangers – including snow and ice buildup.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall in New Jersey
The most important thing you must do after a slip and fall is see a doctor. But nearly as important is protecting your legal rights by hiring a New Jersey slip and fall lawyer.
Once you have a doctor to treat you and a New Jersey premises liability lawyer to handle your case, this will all get easier. From then on, your most important job is simply to work toward recovery.
- Go to your doctor appointments.
- Follow your physician’s recommendations.
- Get the rest your body needs.
Let us handle everything else.