Each year the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety releases its Top Safety Picks. In order to determine which vehicles are worthy of being named, they must score well on all crash tests. They explain that they rate vehicles as, “good, acceptable, marginal, or poor based on performance in high-speed front and side crash tests, a rollover test, plus evaluations of seat/head restraints for protection against neck injuries in rear impacts.”
If the car, truck, SUV, or minivan gets a “good” rating in all four categories they are named a top safety pick. For families, minivans are a practical option for getting around, and of all the 2012 models out there only 5 made the list. Here they are:
- Chrysler Town & Country. For the second year in a row this minivan has made the list. In adittion to the safety features, this vehicle also boasts leather seats and rear-seat DVD standard in all models making it great for family road trips. There are also more than 40 available safety features.
- Dodge Grand Caravan. This minivan makes the list for the second consecutive year. With qualifying scores in all four safety tests you can rest assured that your family will be safe in this vehicle. One of the most popular aspects of the Grand Caravan is the stow-and-go seating allowing for ample storage and easy seat adjusting for added space.
- Honda Odyssey. This minivan is no stranger to this list—the Odyssey has been featured four times. It boasts some of the best kid-friendly features in addition to providing great safety for your family. They have a lower storage in the back seat that has a cool box. This refrigerated compartment is perfect for storing snacks and drinks. The compartment can hold up to six 12-ounce cans or four 20-ounce bottles. They also offer a 16.2-inch DVD system it also has dual-screen capabilities to prevent fighting!
- Toyota Sienna. For the third consecutive year the Sienna has made the list. It has plenty of storage and easy to move and adjust seats. Although the entertainment system is not standard, it does have the option of adding a dual-screen system with wireless headphones and two power outlets. MP3 and satellite radio capabilities are standard.
- Volkswagen Routan. Storage for everyone! There is plenty of room to bring your kids and all of their stuff anywhere in this minivan. Below the floor storage, easy to remove seating and a spacious trunk means you can pack-n-go. You can also get second and third row entertainment systems to allow your kids to watch what they want without the fighting.
Being aware of safety ratings and crash performance when purchasing a vehicle can help to arm you against injury in an accident. Anyone who has ever been in a motor vehicle accident knows how much of a role the safety of your automobile plays in preventing injury. If you or a loved one has been injured in a crash contact the New Jersey car accident lawyers at Console & Hollawell by calling (866) 778-5500 and set up your free consultation today.